Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Day Could Have Been Worse

-
We ran around for a while today paying bills. Due to running the air-conditioner so much and a water leak recently observed (on my bill), the funds that normally cover my monthly bills was shy about $50 of paying them. So, I’ll have to pay the last one with some of my monthly check. That means my already short supply of “disposable income” will be even shorter, especially since I have to get my phone card this week. Oh well, God always seems to meet our needs.

In the last four months, I’ve seen my water bill edge up about $5 a month. The missus said that she was running the dishwasher and clothes washer more this summer and that was probably the difference. THIS month, however, the jump was $15. I mentioned it as I paid my bill today and the lady said we used about an extra 3000 gallons this past month. That’s about 100 gallons a day, or about 4 gallons an hour. One of their workers dropped by just before quitting time and said the current leak, judging from the meter, was about EIGHT gallons an hour. However, the meter well was dry he said, so it wasn’t just outside the meter well like it was a few years ago when I had to fix it.

That made us wonder about the toilet and he said it MIGHT be leaking that much without being heard. After he left, we put some food coloring in the tank and it immediately went to the bowl, so I hope that’s the ONLY leak. Later, I took the top off the tank and put my ear literally inside the top of the tank and I could barely hear a slight leak. Don’t tell the missus, but I spit in the tank and the drain sucked the spittle right DOWN! I’m understandably relieved. What COULD have involved having to hire a contractor (since I can’t do heavy work anymore) turned into a $5 and five minute fix. Talk about dodging the bullet!

There’s some kind of tiny native (I assume) ground cover that grows in my lawn that has three leaves and a minuscule yellow bloom. I’ve always wondered what it was, so I went looking on the internet tonight and learned that it was “lesser trefoil” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_dubium). So now I know!

Tomorrow, I guess I’ll go to the mom and pop hardware store at the edge of town and get a flapper valve for the commode and see if they’ve gotten in any ¾ inch dowels. They didn’t have any left of the latter the last time I checked, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed. My life moves forward a dollar at a time, it seems, when it’s not moving backwards. “Gloom, despair, and agony on me! Ooooooh!” – LOL © 2017
-


3 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I haven't seen lesser trefoil here though we have lots of the yellow sorrel which looks similar but is really different once I saw the photo.
We have had little problem with our toilets sticking once I put a filter on the main water pipe but then we have a spring and grit gets in the system. Your government water may be just as gritty though.

Lady Locust said...

It's amazing what's discovered when you actually pay attention to your bill. Glad you discovered it before it became any worse.

Gorges Smythe said...

We have the Sorrel here, too, SF. I think it's mainly that age and chemicals turn the valve hard, plus, I notice I need to bend the float rod - it's rubbing the stand-pipe.

That's true, LL, but I usually miss the part about when they'll be flushing the lines. I was in full lather once!