Friday, July 7, 2017

The Day’s Porch Sits

-
It was already light when I got up to take the pooch out. It had rained some and stormed a bit for two days and we were supposed to have another day of it today. Therefore, I wanted to be sure the pooch didn’t just drain, but dumped as well, since it wasn’t then raining. It had apparently rained just before light, since everything was wet, and the Mighty Dachshund is rather cat-like in her dislike of water. Still, I made her drag her low-slung belly into the grass of her dumping ground and wouldn’t let her leave until she dropped a load. It was a small load, but she hasn’t eaten too much the last couple days, so that was okay. (I just KNEW you’d want to know all this! – lol)

Afterward, we took our positions on the porch and surveyed what we could of our estate from our observation point. It was cloudy and rainy-looking, but there was no wind or thunder. The humidity was so thick that it looked almost foggy. A few birds sang inside the edge of the woods. A couple tufted-titmice made the chirring sound that can sometimes be mistaken for a distance squirrel scolding an intruder. I heard no dogs or roosters, but a couple nearby crows gave the pooch and I something to listen to.

The pooch first lay down near the west end of the porch, where she very rarely goes. Eventually tiring of that view, she turned 90 degrees and propped her head up on the double 2x4’s that run along the north end of the porch under the posts. Eventually tiring of that view also, she finally took her usual position just beyond my right foot and facing the county road 200 feet to the east. There she remained.

After a few minutes, she saw a fawn come out into the lawn from the north and gave a slight growl. I quietly told her to hush, and she did, but the fawn heard me anyway and looked our way. The pooch wanted to growl or bark, but I kept “shushing” her and she managed to just barely resist making a racket. The fawn, deciding it wasn’t in danger took a drink from the biggest water-hole in the drive-way. Eventually, it grazed its way back the edge of the lawn and soon entered the woods, not to reappear. Had it been my wife with the pooch, there would have been no quieting her. I’m not sure if it’s because she thinks that she has to “protect” the missus, or whether the missus simply doesn’t make her mind.

After a little over a half-hour, the pooch decided that she’d had enough nature observation, stood up and walked the short distance to the door. She left behind a good-sized wet spot on the cement floor of the porch, which was half the reason that I gave up a half-hour’s sleep, to let her drain her belly hair and keep the water off the carpet! I then took her inside, where she lay back down by my wife’s bed and I returned to my own for a while.

We were watching one of our favorite shows on TV this afternoon when the pooch made it clear that she was ready for her third sashay outside. The tater-wagon was on the move, though, so she wanted no part of porch sitting. I let her back inside, and sat in the swing to watch the weather. The thunder was wide-ranging and varied from nearby to far away. Sometimes, it seemed to originate at one horizon and travel slowly to the opposite horizon. Considering the distance involved, though, that ol’ tater-wagon must have had a team of fast horses. A few times, it seemed the thunder was circling the house, like a band of TV Indians circling the wagon train.

Eventually, a sprinkle of huge raindrops began falling, but stopped after a few minutes. Soon, a gentle rain began, which grew increasingly harder until it turned into a downpour. It was then I heard the first of only a few lightning strikes some distance away. The wind soon picked up and my left knee began to feel damp, so I got up and walked to the leeward end of the porch to watch from there. It wasn’t long, though, before some of the rain was blowing the full 25’ length of the porch and striking me on the cheek. It was time to go in, as much as I hated to do so.

An hour later, the tater-wagon seems to be leaving the area. Maybe the pooch and I can work in another porch sit before dark. © 2017
-

9 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Our dog loves the screened in porch and barks at many things that enter her territory including vehicles and animals. She likes to stay out there by herself on her bed so she is kind of a watch dog. One of us goes with her when she is off the porch as there are coyotes that come around occasionally. I like sitting out there at sunset and watch things go into darkness. I think we both have a routine concerning the porch and bathroom breaks in the yard.

Lady Locust said...

That sounds wonderful. We were at 109 yesterday and 102 today. Your description gave a slight reprieve from the heat.

Sixbears said...

While camping on the coast I'd get up early, make a cup of coffee, and watch the deer frolic in the salt marsh. Great view from my campsite and my new binoculars came in handy. Simple pleasures.

Ralph Goff said...

I could use some of that humidity here. It was hot, in the 80s, today and so dry that I could not make the baler work. Hay too dry will not feed properly. Continuing hot and dry here. And for the foreseeable future.

RebPirate said...

Man, I really like your posts. I'm hoping to live on my own patch of dirt out in the country really soon. I've been working towards it for a few years, learning some homestead skills in an urban environment before I try to wean myself from the grid.

Gorges Smythe said...

Some things are just pleasant, SF!

LOL - Think COOL thoughts, LL!

And they don't cost a thing, Sixbears.

I hate to see the way your growing season is starting off, Ralph. I sure hope it gets better for you.

Thanks, RP. I occasionally post some homesteading stuff on my Facebook page, but you'd have to tolerate mountains of political and religious posts to see them. As you probably know, You can find a LOT of good info online, just google the subject.

Joy said...

I always enjoy your Porch Stories! And your Chinamart Stories.
Any chance we could see a pic of the Pooch? I know she has long hair.

c w swanson said...

Annals of the porch are always a pleasant read. I keep hoping that we'll get a thunderstorm or two out here where I am, but I'm too far away from the mountains for that to have a reasonable chance. You can watch the big thunderheads build over the crest all day, though, and imagining the rain when it's 105 outside is tough.

Gorges Smythe said...

I put a photo up recently, Joy. You must have missed it. I'll put it up again for a few days.

You need to leave that state, CW my friend. Freedom calls (and so does rain). - lol